Funemployed: The End

The past few weeks have been extremely bittersweet for me.  The short version is this: I got a job!  In the US!  But I have to leave Georgia!  And my friends and kittens!

The slightly longer vision is this: After a long and tiresome four months of searching, I finally found a job with a finance company that helps refinance public debt.  They wanted me to start right away, so I moved back to the US last week.

Prior to leaving, I had so much to do and see.  I needed to pack my things in every possible permutation, decide what to leave behind, and make sure I had everything I needed – money, chargers, a non-hidden-from-me passport, etc.  Then came the worst part, the goodbyes.

I started things off with a visit to the host family.  Tina was sick and Ilia was sleeping, but one of them managed to rouse herself and we had a lovely little suphra with all my favorite Georgian foods (Gupta!) and some bitter black wine.  I even took a stab at explaining government bonds in a mix of Georgian and Russian.  I was successful!  With an understanding of the type of work I would be doing, Tina disappeared into her room for a moment only to reemerge with a set of gold cuff links and a tie clip.  As my mother Tina would say, “WwwOW!”

The next day, a Sunday, I arranged to sell my bass guitar and used the money to treat all my friends to dinner at the wonderful restaurant across the street from my house.  It was a lovely send off that I won’t soon forget.  Loads of Georgian food and beer, excellent company, and fond farewells!

Finally, my last night in Georgia was upon me.  I had to reconcile with the fact that I would be leaving Cosmos and Bailey behind, that I wouldn’t be able to watch Halloween 3 or The Walking Dead with my constant Georgian companion Morgan, that I would never again live atop a thousand year-old fortress wall.  It was a tough night!  We managed to have one final epic cooking event, though with Keti and I whipping up an amazing spaghetti with two kinds of sauce!  Cheesy garlic mushrooms and a delicious spiced meat sauce.  As my mother Mom would say, “Two words: De-lish!”

The next morning it was up early for our final shared mugs of coffee and a taxi ride to the airport.  At the airport I had to do something I haven’t done in five years: exchange all my Georgian money for dollars.  Then I left on a jet plane.  Don’t know when I’ll be back again, but I hope it’ll be before too long!

*Note: I haven’t yet said where I’ve gone, but the eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that the title of this blog and its cover photo have changed!  See if you can spot the difference between this photo and Tbilisi!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s